What does unlisted mean on youtube? Let’s find out
YouTube is a free video-sharing website that makes it easy to watch online videos. You can even create and upload your own videos to share with others.
Originally created in 2005, YouTube is now one of the most popular sites on the Web, with visitors watching more than 6 billion hours of video every month.
While almost all content producers on the platform exist under the YouTube Creator umbrella, the community is so vast that variances exist across its ranks.
It is therefore important for each individual who wishes to become a YouTuber to gather all information in order to matter in the viciously competitive world of Youtube.
In this article we will endeavor to answer the question, What does unlisted mean on youtube? What is the difference between Public, Private and Unlisted?
Once you upload a video on Youtube, you can change the privacy settings for that video to either Public, Private or Unlisted. This feature allows you to limit who gets to see your videos.
Google allows you to set the privacy setting of each individual video during the upload process. You can set each video to Public, Private or Unlisted. ‘Public’ is the default setting and that means anybody can see your video. It has the following advantages
- A huge subscriber count is great for a business, and it can attract more customers.
- It creates effective brand awareness.
- It’s profitable with the right company or creative strategy.
- It can make you a superstar on YouTube.
Private videos are very different from public ones. Here you (the uploader) selects a list of users who can view your content. the video can only be viewed by those you invite.
Youtube allows you to chose up to a maximum of 50 users to share the video with. These users need to have a google account and be logged in in order to view your video.
Private videos do not appear in any Google (or any other) search results, video recommendations, or your (the uploader) video tab selection.
Similarly, subscribers to your channel will not receive a notification when you upload a private video. The video will not even be available if the users you shared with try to reshare.
Why upload private videos?
While thousands of videos are uploaded to the public each day, an increasing number of videos are made private. Some of the reasons for this are:
If you are far from your family, sharing videos is no doubt a way to stay connected.
Your kid’s first step, their bike-riding lessons, family holidays, footage of your experiences in your location, etc.
These videos are family-oriented, they are not for the whole world. For this reason, making them private ensures only the intended users view them.
Organizations may use private videos for various reasons such as:
- Video resumes. Resumes through a medium other than paper have been growing in popularity throughout the years. They allow employers to see the face and hear the voice of potential employees without even meeting them. Creating a strong video resume requires time, effort, and thought, which is why many employers are beginning to include a video resume as part of the application process.
- Project collaboration. Thanks to the internet, it’s possible to collaborate with users across the nation. People working on video projects might want to share content and ideas via YouTube. Instead of initiating a file transfer, a YouTube upload allows both parties to see the content they are working on piecing together. Just like any project with a release date, privacy on the video content is needed.
- Internal uses. Several companies use videos as part of their training program. Keeping the video uploaded on YouTube allows companies to encourage employees to watch the videos at home. Keeping the videos private keeps company information from being inappropriately publicly displayed.
- Sample purposes. Some videographers prefer keeping their work private. Freelance videographers, for instance, might use YouTube videos to share their portfolio of previous projects with potential clients. For a variety of reasons, they may want their content to be private instead of public. This keeps unwanted comments off their videos and keeps the page clean for potential clients.
Still wondering, What does unlisted mean on youtube? Well, An ‘Unlisted’ video is one that can only be viewed by users with the video link. Just like a private video, it won’t appear in any search result. It is however different from a private video in the following ways:
- You don’t need a YouTube account to watch the video, you can watch any unlisted video as long as you have the video link
- There’s no 50 person sharing limit, its unlimited to any number
Unlisted videos come in handy when you have a large group of people you want to share the video with, i.e more than the 50 users limit for private videos.
Why upload Unlisted videos?
Some of the reasons you may want to go the ‘Unlisted’ way are:
- Sharing videos with friends and family who may exceed 50 in number.
- When you wish to share a video with select customers or prospects
- Getting video feedback from co-workers or other specific focus groups
- Online resumes and portfolios to share during numerous job applications
You can choose to make any of your uploads an unlisted video in your YouTube account settings. Here’s how:
- Sign in to your YouTube Account
- Go to your My Videos page
- Select the video which you’d like to make an unlisted video. Click the Edit button to access the video’s settings.
- Go to the Privacy section of the page. There you’ll see the option to mark your video as “unlisted”, “public”, or “private”. Select unlisted.
- Don’t forget to click the Save Changes button. Once you’ve done this your video will be an unlisted video.
Other tips for privacy on Youtube
Now that we have answered the question; What does unlisted mean on youtube, let’s look at other useful tips.
While Youtube is the most popular site for uploading your videos, it is important to know what privacy settings to use in order to protect your content from misuse. With more than 6 billion hours of video watched each month on YouTube, there’s no telling what to expect. It’s best to protect yourself and adjust your privacy settings.
Here are some tips on privacy while uploading youtube videos.
Keep Videos Private
It’s fascinating for every one of us to showcase our video making skills with the world. It’s also a great way to earn a side income or even make a living out of it. It’s however important to be keen on what videos to share publicly and which to keep safe and restrict to only a select group of people. This is especially important if you’re a professional and need to uphold a reputation.
If you want to set your videos to private, follow these easy steps:
Visit your Video Manager Find the video you’d like to set to private and click the Edit button In the “Privacy Settings” drop-down menu, select Private Click Save Changes
Adjust Account Privacy Settings
YouTube is an interactive website, and your videos aren’t the only thing you need to protect from the prying eyes of the public. Whether it’s liking videos, subscribing to them, or your contacts sending you messages and sharing your videos, it’s important to stay proactive in making sure you know who can track what you like and watch.
If you want to set your account privacy settings, follow these easy steps:
Click on your avatar and select YouTube Settings On the next screen, click on Privacy at the top left
On that screen, you’re able to set up and check your account privacy settings. Under “Likes and Subscriptions,” you can check the box to make sure any videos you like and any channels you subscribe to stay private and confidential. Under “Search and Contacts,” you can control who can contact you, share your videos, and find you by email address.
- Related: How to Monetize your Instagram
Edit Account Profile
Whether someone is on their mobile device, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer, people have access to your personal information if you share too much or don’t protect it. When filling out details including your name, age, company, interests, and uploading a profile picture, remember to only divulge information that can’t be used against you.
Ensure that your cable internet service is protected by passwords so spyware cannot gain this information. It’s not mandatory to offer all information on your profile, it would be wise to leave out the email address and phone number sections to avoid fraud or scam.
- Related: Best Jarvee Alternative
Control Channel Activity
If you choose to keep your videos and content public, then you may attract people who do not necessarily agree with your content. These users may flood your comment section with insults or spam your channel. Its therefore prudent to constantly keep an eye at the comments, video responses, and ratings to keep your channel safe.
If you want to disable or preview and approve comments, follow these easy steps:
Visit your Video Manager Find the video you’d like to edit and click the Edit button Click Advanced Settings Adjust your preferences under the “Comments and Responses” tab Click Save Changes
If you selected to preview and approve comments, continue:
Under “Allow Comments and “Allow Video Responses” select Approved Click your Username in the top right corner Click Inbox Click Comments on the left side of the page.
- Related: Instagram hashtags for photographers
Check Your Account and Report Abuse
Keep a constant check on your account and make sure you update your settings according to your preferences. Log out of your account and check your page as a public user to see what’s being accessed and what’s not.
If you notice bad behavior and abuse, make sure you report it. YouTube is a community, and if there is harassment, inappropriate remarks being made, or if someone is violating your privacy, site administrators need to know about it.
We hope we have answered your question, What does unlisted mean on youtube. Good luck!
- Related: Best Instagram unfollow app