TikTok is a social media platform where people can share short videos of themselves lip-syncing or dancing to popular songs.
TikTok is rapidly growing in popularity, especially among younger users. TikTok has 1 billion monthly active users as of January 2022.
The new Live Studio software promises to make streaming on the app easier and more professional than ever before.
Here’s everything you need to know about TikTok Live Studio.
What is TikTok Live Studio?
TikTok Live Studio is a new Windows program that gives users the ability to log in to their TikTok account and go live.
For these transmissions, they can use devices such as computers and video game consoles.
In December 2021, this desktop app started its testing phase with a small number of users from some Western countries.
Without a doubt, this aroused the interest of many users, especially those who are dedicated to creating content on this platform.
It should be noted that this software allows greater customization than what is available in the application since it has several capture options.
With this novelty, TikTok seeks to compete with platforms like Twitch and YouTube.
What Does TikTok Live Studio Currently Offer?
One of the options that TikTok Live Studio offers its users is the customization of the live stream with various capture options.
These images can be extracted from video games, programs, the full screen of the PC, or the video or mobile camera.
You can also capture broadcast images with pre-designed graphic elements, such as portrait, landscape, etc.
In addition to other features that are quite basic at the moment, among which are live chats and word filters.
It should be noted that in the screenshots of TikTok Live Studio you can see details such as the availability of the transmission in Full HD.
They have a resolution of 1920 × 1080 pixels at 60 fps, but it is not yet clear if this will be the maximum quality or is just one of the available options.
This represents an excellent alternative for tiktokers who choose to stream their games on platforms like Twitch.
With this option, they will be able to use the same Chinese social network, and they will not have to ask their followers to change their site to be able to see their live gameplays.
Benefits That Users Can Get
Although it is still too early to know the advantages of this new system, there are some that can already be determined with the naked eye.
If you are interested in using this option offered by TikTok, then you need to know these positive aspects:
- Unlike Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook Gaming, TikTok Live Studio could offer users tools that encourage content creators to stay on the platform. Without them having to invite their audience to watch their broadcasts on competing services.
- It would represent a big change in the streaming strategy of the Chinese social network since it seeks to go beyond streaming from mobile. The intention is to expand the focus to include video game streaming. So that the platform can compete with the rest.
- For content creators, the use of streaming software for computers is vital, and that is exactly what Live Studio offers. Although there are users who consume video game streaming they normally do so from their mobile phones, in general, the experience is enjoyed more on a computer.
- It would help users to use TikTok more frequently on PC.
Does TikTok Use Obs Code for Live Studio Development?
A controversy has arisen regarding the code used to develop this new TikTok system.
A public user on Twitter a series of screenshots where the source code of TikTok Live Studio appears.
But it’s not just any person, it’s an OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) programmer.
According to the images, it seems that TikTok has simply made an illegal fork of OBS.
This would mean that the Chinese social network used said software and then put its own layer on top to disguise it.
If real, Live Studio would be a copy of the work done by OBS.
It should be noted that TikTok does not meet the licensing requirements of OBS.
For his part, another user indicates that if the platform uses OBS source code, it would have to make it available to all users who want it.
In accordance with the provisions of the GNU General Public License (GPL), version 2.
If the Chinese social network refuses to show it, OBS can take legal action against the company.
Given all this controversy, OBS business developer Ben Torell said they are open to working with TikTok. Of course, clarifying that “as long as they comply with the license.”
It should be noted that this is not the first controversy related to OBS. In 2021, the company clashed with Stramlabs because they didn’t give them permission to use OBS on their behalf.
To avoid further problems, the company decided to remove it from its name.
The Live Already Exists on TikTok
Perhaps many think that it is nothing new, since 2020 the Chinese social network has a function to make live broadcasts.
This works practically the same as it does on Instagram, but the difference is that TikTok requires certain requirements:
- It is essential to have at least 1,000 followers, those who do not reach this amount will not even see the active option on their interface, they will only be able to see the direct ones of others. Although it should be noted that some users have managed to enable the function exceptionally, after uploading a video that has become very viral.
- The second condition that the platform sets is that the user must be over 16 years old. Although the minimum age to use TikTok is 13 years old, the profile of the person who wishes to use this function must reflect that they are at least 16. And 18 years old to be able to receive «Virtual Gifts» with monetary value, as indicated by the legal notices of the Chinese social network.
How can you make a ‘live’ on TikTok
If you meet the requirements demanded by the platform, you can start doing your live shows on TikTok.
The steps to follow to take advantage of this function do not have any type of complication, but it is important that you know them:
- Access the TikTok app and go to the + symbol, the same one you use to upload content.
- Under the red record button, you will see the usual options (60 s, 15 s and MV) and right next to it you will find the one that says “Live”. You have to swipe left to select this last option.
- You have the possibility to give a name or title to your direct, this is something optional. But if you place it, it can be a great help to attract the attention of more users.
- Press on the new red button that appears “Broadcast live”, a countdown will appear on the screen.
- Once the countdown is over, the transmission of what you are recording live will start.
- Live streaming on TikTok is rather straightforward if you meet the eligibility criteria for live streaming.
- There are, however, things that you can do to enhance your live streaming experience and find greater success.Ensure you follow TikTok’s community guidelines for you to keep the live streaming privilege.
Community guidelines on TikTok prohibit content involving:
- Violence, terrorism, and organized hate
- Adult content (sexual or pornographic)
- Hate speech
- Slurs and derogatory language
- Criminal activity (drugs, fraud, gambling, etc.)
- Violent and graphic content
- Self-harm and suicide
- Grooming and exploitation of minors
- Misinformation, impersonation, and spam
Differences between TikTok Live and Live Studio
At first glance they seem to be the same, that is, a space for users to broadcast live using the same platform.
And although it is not innovative, since social networks like Instagram have this option, it is something new in TikTok.
But the difference lies in the purpose or objective they have, Live works just like its competition.
Only that the user must meet certain requirements to be able to enjoy it.
While the Live Studio was created with those people who stream live in mind, in this case, it would be competition from Twitch.
It is important to note that Live Studio is a Windows software, which means that it is created to be used from computers and consoles.
This allows you to have a special space for video game fans. While ‘Live’ is a simple function that is integrated into the application to broadcast live.
What both of them have in common is that they are providing more options to the users who use this platform.
In this way, they will not be forced to use Instagram, Twitch, or other networks to broadcast or broadcast live.
This is also a great benefit for TikTok as it can further increase your audience.