YouTube has recently announced the YouTube Shorts Fund, a $100 million program to reward creators for their dedication to making creative, original shorts that delight the YouTube community.
The disbursement of the fund will take place over a two-year period, from 2021 to 2022.
YouTube will be reaching out to thousands of creators each month to tell them that they qualify for a bonus from the YouTube Shorts Fund.
Eligibility to Join the YouTube Shorts Fund
In order to be eligible for a YouTube Shorts Fund bonus, YouTube channels must meet the following criteria:
- Must have uploaded at least one YouTube Shorts-eligible video in the last 180 days.
- Must have YouTube Community Guidelines, YouTube Copyright rules, and YouTube Monetization Policies.
- Channels uploading videos with watermarks or logos from third-party social media platforms, non-original videos (for example, unedited clips from movies or TV shows), or videos re-uploaded from other creators’ channels will not be eligible.
- Creators must be 13 years old or older in the US. If a creator is under the age of 18 in their country/region they need to make sure both parents/legal guardians review and approve this agreement on their behalf.
- Creators 13–18 years old must have a parent or guardian accept terms and set up an AdSense account for payment when one isn’t already linked to their YouTube channel.
- Creators must be in one of these countries/regions: Algeria, American Samoa, Argentina, Aruba, Azerbaijan, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bermuda, Belarus, Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Guadeloupe, Guam, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Mexico, Montenegro, Morocco, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway, Northern Mariana , islands, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Republic of Ireland, Reunion, Romania, Russia, Senegal, Serbia, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Turks and Caicos Islands, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Uruguay, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe
How do I know if I’m eligible for the Shorts Fund?
After the first week of each month, creators will be informed whether they qualify via email and a notification in the YouTube app.
The amount of the bonus, as well as how to claim it, will be included in both the email and notice.
These emails should arrive shortly after the first week of each month for qualifying individuals. They have until the 25th of each month to claim their bonus, or it might be lost.
How much money may I expect to receive from the Shorts Fund?
Between $100 and $10,000 per month is available to qualifying channels. Bonuses are determined by a creator’s audience location.
As a result, the viewership and engagement needed to qualify may differ among creators.
The money will be transferred to your channel’s linked AdSense account. To receive payment, you must fulfill tax withholdings and other AdSense rules.
How can I get my bonus payment from the Shorts Fund?
To access the Shorts Fund page on YouTube Studio, qualifying YouTube creators should select CLAIM BONUS in their email or app notification.
To claim their bonus, creators must complete two tasks from this page:
- Accept the bonus conditions.
- Create or connect an AdSense account.
After completing these two steps, your referral bonus will be claimed for channels that have an active and linked AdSense account or those that get money from an MCN or network.
It takes up to a few days for YouTube to create and link your AdSense account to your channel after you set one up.
You’ll be emailed once the account is linked, and they’ll confirm whether your bonus has been claimed.
When will I receive a payment from the Shorts Fund?
4-to 6 weeks after they claim the bonus, qualifying creators with a linked AdSense account will receive payment.
You’ll be prompted to sign up for AdSense or join an existing one if you don’t already have one linked to your channel.
In conclusion, the YouTube Shorts program focuses on shorter YouTube videos. After the first week of each month, YouTube will send out notifications to YouTube video creators if they qualify for YouTube shorts bonus pay.
This is YouTube’s first step in building a monetization model for YouTube Shorts. YouTube will be actively working on it, in order to get it right in the long term.
YouTube is taking into consideration that this is a top priority in terms of YouTube features & functions.
They will be actively listening to feedback from its community members so YouTube can build a long-term program specifically designed for YouTube shorts.